Chances are as you have built your real estate business, a part of any success you have had has come from your own natural abilities and skills.
Many real estate agents falsely believe that the more technical you are, the more readily you should be able to use social media. Actually, being good at using social media has very little to do with your technical ability. It does, however, require learning some basic principles and developing the right instincts.
5 Essential Social Media Instincts Real Estate Agents Should Implement:
- Be conversational. Speak, write, and share content in your own real voice. Write as you would speak. Social media is rarely a place for real estate jargon – so leave those for your listing presentation materials and your print ads, and get as real as you can whenever you post anything.
- Listen and respond consistently. The basis of social media comes from listening. Through listening to what people are saying, you will know what you need to respond to – particularly if someone posts a message about real estate or your community, and is seeking a response. The more often you respond, the more social credibility you can build for your business.
- Use questions instead of statements. Open ended questions invite interaction. So instead of just posting statements of your thoughts, how about turning them into questions and seeing who might have an interesting point of view to share. You’ll find this one shift makes a big difference in your level of engagement in the long term.
- Support online relationships with offline interactions. Despite our advances in technology, there remains no substitute for knowing people in person, so whenever you can support anything you do with social media by going to a local event, that would go a long way towards that. Tweet-ups and Meet-ups have been a successful way of turning offline relationships to face-to-face networking opportunities. I wrote a blog post about this very topic a few weeks ago.
- Remember, “what goes around comes around.” The real estate agents that are successful in social media know that doing things to help people, sharing knowledge and generally being open to those who connect with you are all good things that pay off in an uncertain way at some point in the future.
Would love your opinions on this topic! Leave me a comment below!
Written by: Katie Lance, Marketing Manager, Inman News