I’ve learned the ins and outs of traveling; how to get through security efficiently, the best places to park at the airport and what to pack (more importantly, what not to pack.) On my last trip to this year to Agent Reboot Austin, I realized that a lot of what I’ve learned traveling can be related to a real estate professional trying to get their feet wet and navigate through the sometimes murky waters of social media.
Looking back, I laugh at some of my first few trips. I over packed, I had a bag that was way too big for overnight travel, I wore the wrong clothes to get through security, I didn’t know where I was going, and the list goes on and on.
Here are my 5 road warrior social media tips:
1. Don’t over pack. When travelling, the more you pack, the more have to carry. In social, don’t try to to pack too much into each and every social media post. If your post on Facebook for the day is about a video – let it be about the video, not about your open house, or another link to go to, or how they should call you. Statistically, the Facebook updates that get the most engagement are under 80 characters!
2. Dress simply at the airport. There is nothing worse than being behind the person at security with six inch heels that lace up, dripping in jewelry from head to toe, who is rifling through her bags to find all of her liquids. When you travel, dress simply and comfortably. In social, don’t over think it. Post once a day to your Facebook business page. If you can do that consistently, you will over time, see your likes and engagement grow. The reason why most people “fail” at social media is that they are not there simply and consistently.
3. Don’t be afraid to ask for help. Not sure where the taxi stand is at the airport? Ask someone! In social, if you aren’t sure how to do something – ask. Who in your world is doing a great job at social media? Take them out to coffee and ask them a few questions. Not sure who to ask? Peruse some of our articles here on InmanNext. Post a comment on our Facebook page, or feel free to message me directly and ask! We all were beginners at some point, so don’t be afraid to ask.
4. Be prepared. Travelling to Seattle? You may want to pack an umbrella. Travelling to Hawaii? Throw in some sunscreen. Be prepared when you travel. In social, be prepared by having a strategy. What are you trying to accomplish with social media? Brainstorm all the types of content you could share and where is it going to come from? Pinterest? Instagram? News links from Twitter? Google alerts? Take the time to be prepared with a simple social media strategy.
5. Be organized. When travelling, keep you email notifications from the airline in a place you can find easily, or use an app like TripIt to manage your travel itineraries. In social, be organized with your social strategy. Keep all of your passwords in an easy to locate place. Have a spreadsheet or a content grid that keeps track of the content you posted and what you want to post in the future. Keep track of your statistics monthly (or more often if possible.) Be organized with your social media strategy to make the most of it!
What are your most important social media tips you’ve learned along the way? Am I missing some? I’d love to hear from you – leave me a comment below!