Each and every one of us has a story to tell. Our story includes our history, our family, our passions, and of course our place in the real estate industry. But too often, our story gets buried on social media.
We say to ourselves, “nobody cares about the pictures I post from my kid’s Little League game” or “why do people post when they are out to dinner?”
Well, believe it or not, those personal moments help to tell our story and define our personal brand. Each and everyone of us has a personal brand – and it is so much more than what we do for a living. Telling our stories helps us to connect with others.
So how do we tell our story? As the saying goes, “a picture is truly worth a thousand words,” and this is even more prevalent today in social media. Sharing vivid images and video are an easy way to connect with people. But even more important, is sharing photos that you take. For example, I would much rather see a photo of real homeowners than a stock photo – it is much more authentic to me and resonates with me. People typically forget what you say or what you write – so images and video becomes even more important because they affect how we FEEL.
How can you tell your story in real estate?
1. Be personal. Your social media presence can’t be all about real estate. You must be willing to share and be personal – this is what connects us.
2. Be real – authenticity is key. No one like someone who feels like a fake – be real, be authentic and people will resonate with that.
3. Share what you love. What are you passionate about? Tech? Travel? Dining? Share things that are of interest to you – this helps to tell your story.
4. Share moments in real estate. Make the most of events in real estate – specifically the celebration you have with clients when the home is theirs! Here is an awesome example of an agent who so beautifully captured this moment using a simple video app called Ptch.
5. Look at your life as content. Events, broker tour, clients you work with – these all tell the story of what you do and why you are passionate about it. Think about why you love the area you live in – that is a great place to start when you think about content and telling the story of your community!
Here are some great examples of agents and brokers telling their story and building their brand online using visuals:
Would love your feedback on this – leave me a comment below!