Social Media is the hot buzzword these days. Whether it is for personal or business reasons, you most likely have a Facebook page, and/or a Twitter account, and/or blog.
On the personal front, for some, Facebook may purely be a source of entertainment. Twitter is basically a channel to follow your favorite personality. And blogging is an instantaneous way to expound your point of view. Moreover, many do so without much fear of repercussion.
But in business, social media is not always so cut-and-dry. Your reputation can be easily tarnished by negative comments on high trafficked sites from customers or competitors. The burden of proof does not always fall on the one doing the complaining.
As search engines have evolved, so have search results. Customer reviews and local information now often appear above traditional search results and more sites are offering agent ratings. Even if you have a high-ranking website, it may not be the first thing a consumer sees when searching for you.
Unfortunately, consumers have voiced concerns about the professionalism, trust and integrity inside the real estate industry. The latest Gallup report showed that the people have such a negative view of our industry that we were rated in the bottom three … right after the government and the oil industry! In general, the consumer does NOT trust us or believe a word we say about our ability.
With these two major strikes against us, what can we do about it especially as it pertains to our business?
If you could simply Google the answer, then this would not even be an issue and you wouldn’t still be reading this article.
– Quoting from Benjamin Franklin’s Poor Richard’s Almanack
Glass, China, and Reputation, are easily crack’d, and never well mended.
With all due respect to Mr. Franklin, all hope is not lost.
To address this very topic that impacts so many of us, we would like to extend an invitation to a gathering of the industry’s leading minds in New York City.
Come join Inman News™ for Real Estate Connect® from January 11-13, 2012, at the Marriott Marquis Times Square. The theme is Leading the Way: Innovation in Action.
Our all-star panel of speakers is a virtual who’s who of the real estate and technology industries. They will share with you their proven techniques and best practices – essentially the secrets of their success!
At Connect, you will:
- Find out how you can build trust and manage your reputation.
- Get advice on how to use social media to engage with your customers and grow your business — without damaging your brand.
- Learn why people share information online, and how you can craft compelling, resonant messages to get your content shared.
- Discover how to create confidence and authentic engagement.
- Access unparalleled networking opportunities with industry leaders, including executives from the country’s top real estate franchises.
- Discover innovative ideas from the people driving change in our industry – entrepreneurs, top producers, brokers, financial services and marketing experts.
- Explore a trade show floor filled with companies that deliver the products you need to be more successful – including startups on the brink of greatness in Start-Up Alley.
And much, much more.
Don’t miss out on this amazing opportunity. Get the solutions and insights you need to thrive in 2012.
We look forward to seeing you in New York City.