1. What are your current or childhood nicknames?
Gunner D. and or Lil Gun. Still called that by my old neighborhood chums. Regards the speed to which I could once throw a Spalding in the game of stickball.
2. Which daily newspaper do you read and which section of the newspaper do you read first?
The Wall Street Journal. Start on page one. Proceed from there. New York Post when I can get one sent to me. Proper way to read the Post is sports section first.
3. What’s the most unusual thing you’ve ever packed in a suitcase?
Six dozen assorted bagels from H&H in New York City.
4. What kind of music do you listen to?
’80s alternative, electronica, Grateful Dead, classical, some rap (Tupac)
5. What style of home do you live in and when did you buy it?
Custom Southwestern, purchased in 1998
6. Where did you spend your last vacation?
The W Union Square in New York City
7. What professional accomplishment in your life are you most proud of?
Honestly, it was landing that very first job out of college, beating out dozens of candidates. This set the stage for everything that was to come.
8. What personal accomplishment in your life are you most proud of?
Marriage of 21 years to my wife Lori, whom I met in high school, and the four children we have had together.
9. How many e-mail addresses do you have?
10. What worries keep you awake at night?
I worry if my children went to bed resenting me for often working late. I worry if California will get the big one while I’m in the bathroom. I worry if overinflated real estate prices will force my kids to move far away from us.
11. What lesson did you learn in the last year?
A successful leader is not one who leads through intimidation but rather, from humility, kindness and respect: e.g., refraining from checking a watch or answering a cell phone when meeting with subordinates. I have found that when performed genuinely, humble behavior goes a long way toward earning that same respect back.
12. What is your favorite technology device or software application?
Tablet PC (Red Tablet) or iPod.
13. What is your opinion of Inman News?
The highest of regard. Editorial focus is addictive. Reporting is up to the minute. Their humor is brave. Their archive brings the archeologist out in me.
14. What was the best gift you ever received from or gave to someone else?
Received: Willis Reed handed me a signed basketball on my birthday when I was a child.
Given: A weekend in the Bahamas to my wife while I remained behind to watch the kids.
15. What was your top New Year’s resolution and have you kept it so far?
I don’t make resolutions on the account that I never keep them.
16. Are you a morning person or a night owl?
17. What is your worst vice or bad habit?
Addiction to Italian-made clothing and Jr’s Cheesecake.
What’s your opinion? Send your Letter to the Editor to firstname.lastname@example.org.