Foreclosures continued to drag housing prices downward in March and during the first quarter of the year, according to

Editor’s note: This article is republished with permission of Builder magazine. View the original article: "Foreclosures continue to take toll on pricing."


Foreclosures continued to drag housing prices downward in March and during the first quarter of the year, according to the Federal Housing Finance Agency (FHFA) house-price index. The index, which pulls its data from Fannie Mae- and Freddie Mac-acquired mortgages, posted a 0.3 percent decline from February and a drop of 2.5 percent between the fourth quarter of 2010 and the first quarter of 2011.

These numbers are somewhat skewed, however, by a recent change in how FHFA calculates the data. Without the change, March’s numbers would have remained flat and the quarterly change would have represented a slightly steeper decline of 3 percent.

With declines reported in nearly every area of the country, all eyes continue to be on the foreclosure market and its pending shadow inventory.

Striking a hopeful tone, Edward DeMarco, acting director at FHFA, pointed out that "serious delinquency rates … are declining," in a press statement.

However, according to Rick Sharga, senior vice president of RealtyTrac, only 20 percent of the 1.2 million homes in some stage of foreclosure have hit the markets. Without knowing when the remaining 80 percent will be unleashed, it’s hard to predict when prices will stabilize, even if tightened lending standards in recent years have cut back on recent delinquencies. 

In addition to the foreclosures currently on banks’ books, there are about 4 million homes with delinquent loans. Unfortunately, as Diane Thompson, an attorney with the National Consumer Law Center, recently pointed out in testimony before the U.S. Senate banking subcommittee, banks have a financial incentive to foreclose.

Thanks to revenue from foreclosure fees and the fact that foreclosing on a home requires less staff than a loan modification, it is unlikely that even many of the loans that could qualify for the Home Affordable Modification Program (HAMP) will avoid bank repossession or short sale. 

At the hearing, Thompson and others advocated for new government guidelines on loan servicing, which The New York Times reported would include requiring banks to evaluate homeowners for a modification before any foreclosure-related fees are imposed. And banks would be blocked from foreclosing if they failed to offer a modification when standardized criteria indicated a loan should qualify for one. 

Sens. Jack Reed and Sheldon Whitehouse of Rhode Island, and Sen. Sherrod Brown of Ohio, have introduced bills in the Senate attempting to establish such standards.

In the meantime, "foreclosures and other distressed properties … may be delaying price stability or recovery," DeMarco said.

Claire Easley is online senior editor for Builder magazine.

© 2011 Hanley Wood. All rights reserved.  No part of this article may be used or reproduced in any manner whatsoever without the prior written permission of Hanley Wood.

Show Comments Hide Comments


Sign up for Inman’s Morning Headlines
What you need to know to start your day with all the latest industry developments
By submitting your email address, you agree to receive marketing emails from Inman.
Thank you for subscribing to Morning Headlines.
Back to top
Only 3 days left to register for Inman Connect Las Vegas before prices go up! Don't miss the premier event for real estate pros.Register Now ×
Limited Time Offer: Get 1 year of Inman Select for $199SUBSCRIBE×
Log in
If you created your account with Google or Facebook
Don't have an account?
Forgot your password?
No Problem

Simply enter the email address you used to create your account and click "Reset Password". You will receive additional instructions via email.

Forgot your username? If so please contact customer support at (510) 658-9252

Password Reset Confirmation

Password Reset Instructions have been sent to

Subscribe to The Weekender
Get the week's leading headlines delivered straight to your inbox.
Top headlines from around the real estate industry. Breaking news as it happens.
15 stories covering tech, special reports, video and opinion.
Unique features from hacker profiles to portal watch and video interviews.
Unique features from hacker profiles to portal watch and video interviews.
It looks like you’re already a Select Member!
To subscribe to exclusive newsletters, visit your email preferences in the account settings.
Up-to-the-minute news and interviews in your inbox, ticket discounts for Inman events and more
1-Step CheckoutPay with a credit card
By continuing, you agree to Inman’s Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.

You will be charged . Your subscription will automatically renew for on . For more details on our payment terms and how to cancel, click here.

Interested in a group subscription?
Finish setting up your subscription