Zillow research released this morning included some good news for minority applicants: Although Hispanic and black homeowners are still lagging behind white and Asian homeowners in the housing recovery, the denial rate for mortgages has decreased nationally.
Here’s how the Los Angeles market ranked:
- The denial rate for 2014 conventional mortgage applications was 13.4 percent, down 1.1 percent from 12.3 percent in 2013.
- For black applicants, the denial rate fell from 21.6 percent in 2013 to 21.0 percent in 2014 — a 0.6-percent drop.
- For white applicants, the denial rate fell from 11.5 percent in 2013 to 11.2 percent in 2014 — a 0.3-percent drop.
- For Hispanic applicants, the denial rate fell from 17.5 percent in 2013 to 14.2 percent in 2014 — a 3.3-percent drop.
- For Asian applicants, the denial rate fell from 14.1 percent in 2013 to 12.1 percent in 2014 — a 2.3-percent drop.