Zillow research released this morning included some good news for minority applicants: Although Hispanic and black homeowners are still lagging behind white and Asian homeowners in the housing recovery, the denial rate for mortgages has decreased nationally.
- The denial rate for 2014 conventional mortgage applications was 11.2 percent, down 1.2 percent from 12.4 percent in 2013.
- For black applicants, the denial rate fell from 27.6 percent in 2013 to 23.5 percent in 2014 — a 4.1-percent drop.
- For white applicants, the denial rate fell from 10.4 percent in 2013 to 9.4 percent in 2014 — a 1.0-percent drop.
- For Hispanic applicants, the denial rate fell from 21.9 percent in 2013 to 18.8 percent in 2014 — a 3.1-percent drop.
- For Asian applicants, the denial rate went from 13.3 percent in 2013 to 12.2 percent in 2014 — a 1.1-percent drop.