- Safety is no longer a luxury. Agents need to protect themselves with smart tools and safety practices.
- Athena uses tech and fashion to create an easy-to-use safety device.
- This would make the perfect holiday gift for girls and women of all ages. Purchase now, and give the certificate as a stocking stuffer.
For most women, the panic that comes from feeling unsafe is all too real — all too often.
Agents are especially susceptible as they work with the public on a daily basis, often touring vacant properties. ROAR is a new startup dedicated to helping fight assaults against women using its new Athena wearable and education.
ROAR hopes that Athena will make a great addition to any woman’s daily routine while making her more confident and helping to keep her safe.
ROAR was created after co-founder, Yasmine Mustafa, solo-trekked across South America. Throughout her travels, she kept meeting women — both locals and travelers — who shared horrific stories of assault.
Then one week upon her return to Philadelphia, a woman was brutally raped one block from Mustafa’s apartment. After learning of the incident, she called her co-founder Anthony Gold, and the two joined forces.
Both are serial entrepreneurs with backgrounds in hardware and software and are passionate about empowering women.
According to ROAR for Good Press: “ROAR recognizes that many women are raised from an early age to be aware of threats at nearly all times. It is our goal with the introduction of Athena that women may actually shift from an element of fear into a greater sense of personal empowerment and comfort in their physical environment.”
What is Athena?
Athena is jewelry that helps deter attacks calls for help and cannot be used against the wearer.
Here are some of its features and how it works:
- Emits a 85 decibel alarm (similar to a fire alarm) and messages friends and family with your location; press button for three seconds to activate
- Silent mode alerts family and friends to your location when it is not safe to use alarm mode; tap button three times to activate
- The replaceable battery lasts up to three months
- Bluetooth technology
- Designed to reduce accidental triggers during normal use and wear with a recessed button
- There are three colors to choose from for the backing — rose gold, antique silver and timeless black
- Can be worn as a necklace, purse clip or belt clip
- Mobile application syncs with smartphone
ROAR has a holistic approach to the problem at large. For each device purchased, this B Corp organization is taking a percent of proceeds and investing in nonprofits that teach empathy, respect and healthy relationships to young boys and young girls — programs which have been shown to decrease violence later in life.
Currently, Athena is in development. With the support of 2,398 backers, the creators raised over 668 percent of their goal to begin production on the Athena wearable. Orders can be placed here, and a spring 2016 delivery of the product is expected.
By day, Rachael Hite helps agents develop their business. By night, she’s tweeting for listingdepot.com.