Troy Palmquist is an indie broker in California with more than a decade of experience. His regular column, which covers a range of helpful tips for agents and op-eds on industry happenings, publishes Thursdays on Inman.
As a former Vegas real estate veteran, I’ve spent a lot of time selling properties in the area, and as a non-local, I feel burned out by the Strip.
And there is so much more to Vegas than neon lights and being hung over at 3 a.m.!
Here, I offer a few personal recommendations and pointers to keep you focused and engaged, while still making the most of your trip.
What else is there to do outside of the event and casinos, you ask? Plenty! Read on for my top Las Vegas picks.
Going out? Try these can’t miss local hot spots
Grab a bite, and take a sip
- One of my favorite places for a great steak is Triple George Grill in Old Town. Go there for a nice meal, or treat a mentor to a cocktail, and pick his or her brain on hot topics discussed at Inman Connect.
- When you need to unwind from constantly being “on,” grab a drink at the Velveteen Rabbit. This craft cocktail-and-beer bar is situated right in the heart of the popular Arts District.
- For “timeless Italian cuisine,” head to Carbone at Aria. The environment is chill, and the food is on point.
- Last but not least, go to Bavette’s Steakhouse & Bar at MGM for stiff cocktails, a stellar wine list, and steakhouse fare with a fine “French flair.” The dark and welcoming vibe only adds to the experience.
See a show
When in Vegas, you have see a show! And you could do far worse than catching Criss Angels’ new show Mindfreak at Planet Hollywood.
Ranked “the #1 Magic Show of all time” by the Las Vegas Times, you know it’s going to be good.
Want another option? Don’t miss Monday nights at the Cosmo if you want to get away. This trendy bar offers rooftop movies and libations to take your mind off the daily grind.
Check out a nightclub
Although I wouldn’t recommend going out to the nightclub at the start of the event, I do have a couple places to check out on Thursday or Friday night.
- The Marquee Nightclub, offers a spectacular atmosphere and an awesome patio for hanging out with colleagues or friends on a summer night.
- Kaos at Palms is another hot spot and the hub for resident artists and live music.
- And you can’t come to Vegas without experiencing the Minus5 Ice Bar at the Venetian and Mandalay Bay. Get 20 percent off entry with your Inman badge.
- The VOID at the Venetian is a 4D virtual reality travel experience you have to see to believe.
Take a local adventure
For the true adventure seeker, go for a spin on the High Roller, the world’s largest observation wheel.
And with all the iBuyer talk at Inman Connect, why not get out and see what it’s all about? Go tour a couple of iBuyer-listed houses. Opendoor and Offerpad have a large inventory of homes for sale in Las Vegas.
Make sure you look good
In a bind or need some new threads? Stitched in the Cosmopolitan is the place to go. Ask for the custom clothier, Ricci Lopez (IG @riccijlopez). Trust me, he won’t disappoint.
Don’t overdo it
Remember what we are in Las Vegas for. We are here to learn and connect with other industry professionals. Here are a few tips to keep you from being out at all hours of the night and missing something good at the conference.
- Perhaps the best way to make the most of your trip is to plan out the essentials first. Want a simple way to do that? Get the app. Download the ICLV app on android or iOS, and create your own personal agenda of your top must-see panels, speakers and events. Then plan your fun.
- No Redbull or energy drinks past 9 p.m. Be sure to have dinner, maybe have a cocktail — then go to bed. You never end up in trouble by just saying no. FOMO is real, but don’t let it screw up your trip.
- Need a great distraction? Think about all you learned that day, and put it to use. I always find myself energized after Inman’s events, and it’s exciting to review notes and see what tips stick with you. What better time than now to start planning for the months ahead.
- Still need to quench your need for a fun outing? You simply can’t miss the Innovator Bash at the Brooklyn Bowl in Las Vegas on Thursday night from 8 p.m. to 11 p.m. Throw on your dancing (or bowling) shoes, and join in as the industry lets their hair down for music, dancing, snacks, an open bar and complimentary bowling. It’s on the last night of the conference and the who’s who of the industry will be there — that’s a win-win.
I’m an indie broker, so naturally, I’m excited about broker-centric activities, but there’s something for everyone. Here’s what I’m pumped about:
Indie brokerages can provide a fresh new perspective. Try and connect with John Gafford at Simply Vegas. It’s a great brokerage, and he’s a great guy who loves to talk shop. Hint: Gafford is also a speaker at Connect. Don’t miss him!
GK Properties is another top pick. Hang out with George Kypreos and Gina McClain. They have an amazing business and team, and any agent will benefit from their knowledge and sage advice.
Other must-attend Inman Connect events
- INDIE: Digging Deeper for an Authentic, Magnetic Brand
- iBuyer Activity: The Data Set You Cannot Ignore
- Hire, Fire, Evolve: Rethinking the Way Your Brokerage Staff is Structured
- Talent Wars: Why You Need to Rethink Recruiting to Win
- The Inman Interview: The Changing Life of a Real Estate Agent
- The Difference Between Teams & Brokerages
- Marketing to the Modern Consumer: What You Need to Know
- Capital Connect
Here’s wishing you and yours a great Inman Connect. I hope to see you there!
How do you stay ahead in a changing market? Inman Connect Las Vegas — Featuring 250+ experts from across the industry sharing insight and tactics to navigate threat and seize opportunity in tomorrow’s real estate. Join over 4,000 top producers, brokers and industry leaders to network and discover what’s next, July 23-26 at the Aria Resort. Hurry! Tickets are going fast, register today!
Thinking of bringing your team? There are special onsite perks and discounts when you buy tickets together. Contact us to find out more.