Industry NewsMarkets & Economy

Foreclosure filings surge in judicial foreclosure states

Future-Proof: Navigate Threats, Seize Opportunities at ICNY 2018 | Jan 22-26 at the Marriott Marquis, Times Square, New York

Foreclosure activity nationwide continued to fall in April, though foreclosure-related filings in the 26 states where courts handle the process jumped, according to a report from foreclosure data aggregator RealtyTrac. One in every 698 U.S. housing units, or a total of 188,780 properties, were subject to a foreclosure-related filing in April, such as a default notice, scheduled auction or bank repossession. That's down 5 percent from March and 14 percent from April 2011, and the lowest monthly total since July 2007, RealtyTrac said. Foreclosure-related filings were up 15 percent from a year ago in 26 judicial foreclosure states where courts handle filings. In the 24 nonjudicial foreclosure states and Washington, D.C., filings were down 29 percent from a year ago. "Rising foreclosure activity in many state and local markets in April was masked at the national level by sizable decreases in hard-hit foreclosure states like California, Arizona and Nevada," said Bra...