- Doing what you don't want to do (when you don't want to do it) is not trendy or exciting. It's countercultural and the last thing you will find to be intuitive.
- Be introspective about what's holding you back. Ask yourself what daily activities are you resisting? Whatever you resist, persists!
- The six things you must do every day for long-term success are: lead generation, lead follow-up, pre-qualifying, presenting, negotiating and closing.
You’ve heard us say it on the podcast over and over. Our definition of long-term, ever-increasing success is: doing what you don’t want to do, when you don’t want to do it — at the highest level.
This is definitely not the kind of saying you’re going to see on a poster with kitten on it! We feel so strongly about its link to your success as a real estate agent that we’re dedicating this podcast series to helping you fully understand not only what it means but also how to put this mindset into practice.
Make a list of all the things in real estate that you avoid doing. This is the don’t-want-to-do part. The things you don’t do with consistency, avoid like the plague, have sworn off of or get panic attacks just thinking about. Yes, those things.
The key to doing this exercise right is letting go of that pesky ego! If you hear your ego “defending” you, claiming that you love to do these things that you rarely do or denying that you have a problem doing them, it’s going to take a lot longer to see the results you want!
We wrote down a few to get you started:
- Picking up the phone
- Price reductions
- Telling the seller the truth about the market
- Learning a script
- Knowing your market numbers or personal statistics
- Prequalifying buyers and sellers
- BPOs (broker price opinions)
- Short sales
- Objection handling
We could list dozens more, but you can probably identify with a few on our list here. Think about this. What is the one common string that runs throughout all of these activities? They are the things you must be doing that make you money!
If it sounds so simple, then why is it so hard? We’ll tackle that on the next show. Listen to part one first as we lay the groundwork for this life-changing pillar!
One thing we can promise you, though, is that if you will internalize and understand this concept of doing what you don’t want to do (when you don’t want to do it!) at the highest level, is that you will have a ridiculously unfair advantage in your market! Doesn’t that sound good?
Subscribe to Tim and Julie Harris’ podcast on iTunes or follow us online at realestatecoachingradio.com.
Tim and Julie Harris have over 20 years’ experience in real estate. Learn more about their real estate coaching and training programs at timandjulieharris.com, or request more information about their programs at joinharris.com.