Check Inman every day for the daily version of this market roundup.
Home equity rates:
Thursday, March 17:
- Home sales rose 4.8 percent year-over-year.
- The median sales price rose 5.9 percent year-over-year.
- We currently have 4.0 months supply of inventory.
- The 30-year fixed-rate mortgage averaged 3.73 percent with an average 0.5 point for the week ending March 17, 2016.
- This is up from 3.68 percent last year.
- A year ago, the 30-year fixed rate mortgage averaged 3.78 percent.
Sell the lifestyle by being part of your community
Top producer Teddy Errico on how loving where you live can lead to sales READ MORE
- The home price index is up 6.9 percent year-over-year.
- Home equity is up $6 trillion since the Great Recession.
- Completed foreclosures are down 16.2 percent year-over-year.
Wednesday, March 16:
- Privately-owned building permits in February were at a seasonally adjusted annual rate of 1,167,000, 3.1 percent below the revised January rate but 6.3 percent above the February 2015 estimate.
- Privately-owned housing starts in February were at a seasonally adjusted annual rate of 1,178,000, 5.2 percent above January and 30.9 percent above February 2015.
- Privately-owned housing completions in February were at 1,016,000, 4.2 percent below the revised January estimate but 17.5 percent above the February 2015 rate.
- The Market Composite Index (which measures loan application volume) decreased 3.3 percent week-over-week on a seasonally adjusted basis.
- The Refinance Index decreased 6 percent week-over-week to its lowest level since August 2015.
- The seasonally adjusted Purchase Index increased 0.3 percent to its highest level since January 2016.
- The preliminary March index is 62.8, the same as the final reading in February.
- The jobs market is improving.
- However, global economic uncertainty is contributing to anxiety.
Tuesday, March 15:
- Housing sales increased 13.9 percent year-over-year.
- This is the strongest year-over-year increase since June 2015.
- Housing prices rose an average of 2.3 percent year-over-year.
- Year-over-year growth was at a 16-month high since October 2014.
- Sales were down 0.3 percent from December.
- However, sales were up 6.4 percent year-over-year from December 2015.