We’ll add more market news briefs throughout the day. Check back to read the latest.
- The national affordability index in Q4 was 103, the lowest level since Q4 2008.
- This is down from 108 in the previous quarter.
- It’s also down from 116 a year ago.
- U.S. house prices rose 0.4 percent on a seasonally adjusted basis from the previous month.
- The previously reported 0.6 percent increase in September remained unchanged.
- From October 2015 to October 2016, house prices were up 6.2 percent.
- The 30-year fixed-rate mortgage (FRM) averaged 4.30 percent with an average 0.5 point for the week ending December 22, 2016.
- This is up from last week when it averaged 4.16 percent.
- A year ago at this time, the 30-year FRM averaged 3.96 percent.
- Non-distressed properties sold during November had an average price of $299,900, based on a three-month moving average.
- That was up 0.9 percent from October 2016.
- Prices in November were up by 5.8 percent percent compared with the average price for non-distressed properties sold in November 2015.
- The median home value in the U.S. is now $192,500.
- Home values rose 6.5 percent over the past year.
- Rents rose 1.5 percent over the past year to $1,403 per month.
- The serious delinquency rate for mortgages owned or guaranteed by Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac (the “Enterprises”) fell to 1.16 percent at the end of the third quarter of this year.
- Overall, the Enterprises completed 46,390 foreclosure prevention actions in the third quarter.
- The number of 60+ days delinquent loans declined 3 percent to 421,765 at the end of the third quarter.
- The delinquency rate was up by 2.55 percent month-over-month.
- However, the rate was down 9.43 percent year-over-year.
- The number of loans in active foreclosure dropped below 500,000 for the first time in nearly 10 years.
[graphiq id=”b2w6fmfIyNL” title=”30-Year Fixed Rate Mortgage Rates for the Past 6 Months” width=”600″ height=”400″ url=”https://w.graphiq.com/w/b2w6fmfIyNL” link=”http://mortgage-lenders.credio.com” link_text=”30-Year Fixed Rate Mortgage Rates for the Past 6 Months | Credio”]
[graphiq id=”2NvK9Bl9HIF” title=”15-Year Fixed Rate Mortgage Rates for the Past 6 Months” width=”600″ height=”400″ url=”https://w.graphiq.com/w/2NvK9Bl9HIF” link=”http://mortgage-lenders.credio.com” link_text=”15-Year Fixed Rate Mortgage Rates for the Past 6 Months | Credio”]
Home equity rates:
[graphiq id=”kPkTJrAnX5r” title=”Average Home Equity Loan Bank Rates by State” width=”600″ height=”465″ url=”https://w.graphiq.com/w/kPkTJrAnX5r” link=”http://mortgage-lenders.credio.com” link_text=”Average Home Equity Loan Bank Rates by State | Credio”]
[graphiq id=”dP0v3iYOnH” title=”Average Home Equity Loan Credit Union Rates by State” width=”600″ height=”465″ url=”https://w.graphiq.com/w/dP0v3iYOnH” link=”http://mortgage-lenders.credio.com” link_text=”Average Home Equity Loan Credit Union Rates by State | Credio”]
Most recent market news:
- Mortgage applications increased 2.5 percent from one week earlier for the week ending December 16, 2016.
- The refinance share of mortgage activity increased to 57.9 percent of total applications from 57.2 percent the previous week.
- The average contract interest rate for 30-year fixed-rate mortgages increased to its highest level since May 2014, 4.41 percent, from 4.28 percent.
- Total existing-home sales rose 0.7 percent to a seasonally adjusted annual rate of 5.61 million in November.
- This is up from a downwardly revised 5.57 million in October.
- November’s sales pace is now the highest since February 2007 (5.79 million) and is 15.4 percent higher than a year ago (4.86 million).
- Overall confidence for transaction volume growth over the next 12 months declined 11.8 percent from Q3 2016.
- Confidence for transaction volume growth also fell 3.8 percent compared with a year ago.
- Confidence for growth in purchase transaction volume over the next 12 months remains positive, but declined 8 percent from last quarter and fell 8.8 percent compared with a year ago.
Email market reports to email@example.com.