It’s no secret — moving is often one of the most stressful parts of buying or renting a new home. While most buyers and renters have adequate time to plan and save for relocation costs, unplanned events, such as a breakup or family emergency can leave people desperate and cash strapped.

According to a survey of 937 Americans by moving company Hire A Helper, 80 percent of Americans who recently experienced sudden relocations had a month or less, while 20 percent had less than a week. The average move cost $2,300, with owners and renters exhausting their savings (57.4 percent) or relying on credit cards (30 percent) to cover expenses.

Credit: Hire A Helper

The No. 1 reason for a sudden relocation was financial hardship (20.3 percent), likely caused by an uptick in rent or other living costs. A new job (16.1 percent), a partner getting a new job (10.7 percent), a breakup (10.6 percent) or the need to care for an ailing family member (8.9 percent) were some of the other most popular reasons.

To make a quick turnaround, 53 percent of Americans sold their furniture, donated clothing (30.7 percent), rented a storage unit (20.6 percent), found a new home for their pet (19.1 percent), and paid to break their lease or rental agreement (15.8 percent). For homeowners, 13.7 percent were able to arrange a quick sale of their home or rent it (7.8 percent) until they were able to place it on the market.

On average, homeowners and renters spent 3.5 weeks searching for a new place, with 39.9 percent relying on online search tools (e.g. Zillow) to find listings. Movers also found listings through friends (34.9 percent), real estate agents (24 percent), newspapers (14.4 percent), social media (8.9 percent) or online chat groups (5.7 percent).

Credit: Hire A Helper

The majority of homeowners and renters made in-state moves (71.8 percent), with the remaining 28.2 percent either moving out-of-state (26.7 percent) or to a new country (1.5 percent). Most movers decided to take a DIY approach to relocating, with 60.6 percent using their car and relying on family members (48.7 percent) to transport items.

Despite the emotional and financial cost of moving, nearly half of respondents reported “feeling happier” in their new digs (49.2 percent) and have “little to no” regrets (86.5 percent) about their sudden shift.

However, 76.3 percent of homeowners and renters still said they prefer “longer, planned moves” versus “fast and sudden” ones (6.6 percent).

Email Marian McPherson

Show Comments Hide Comments
Sign up for Inman’s Morning Headlines
What you need to know to start your day with all the latest industry developments
By submitting your email address, you agree to receive marketing emails from Inman.
Thank you for subscribing to Morning Headlines.
Back to top
Only 3 days left to register for Inman Connect Las Vegas before prices go up! Don't miss the premier event for real estate pros.Register Now ×
Limited Time Offer: Get 1 year of Inman Select for $199SUBSCRIBE×
Log in
If you created your account with Google or Facebook
Don't have an account?
Forgot your password?
No Problem

Simply enter the email address you used to create your account and click "Reset Password". You will receive additional instructions via email.

Forgot your username? If so please contact customer support at (510) 658-9252

Password Reset Confirmation

Password Reset Instructions have been sent to

Subscribe to The Weekender
Get the week's leading headlines delivered straight to your inbox.
Top headlines from around the real estate industry. Breaking news as it happens.
15 stories covering tech, special reports, video and opinion.
Unique features from hacker profiles to portal watch and video interviews.
Unique features from hacker profiles to portal watch and video interviews.
It looks like you’re already a Select Member!
To subscribe to exclusive newsletters, visit your email preferences in the account settings.
Up-to-the-minute news and interviews in your inbox, ticket discounts for Inman events and more
1-Step CheckoutPay with a credit card
By continuing, you agree to Inman’s Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.

You will be charged . Your subscription will automatically renew for on . For more details on our payment terms and how to cancel, click here.

Interested in a group subscription?
Finish setting up your subscription