What real estate agents should know about pot legalization

From homeowners' insurance policies to how to shop (or not) for a house with room to grow
  • Buyers or renters wanting to grow should look for enclosed windowless rooms, expanded electrical and plumbing, unfinished floors and more.
  • Find an inspector who's familiar with the signs of a grow operation.
  • So far, insurance carriers have been covering stolen plants or fires started. State laws could place parameters on that, though.

An out-of-state client is seeking a home that’s already set up for growing marijuana so that all he has to do is move in and get started. Meanwhile, a pregnant buyer is concerned about possible mold or contaminants resulting from growing pot indoors — so she also wants to know what houses have hosted a grow space, but for different reasons. And it’s an agent’s job to know how to cater to both of them.