- Rich people think differently from the rest of the world. Pay attention to the words of those who have gone before you and are doing things at a higher level than you are.
- When you hear something that offends you, hold that thought! Ask yourself why? Wherever you're resisting is where your growth needs to be.
- Motivation and positive thinking are not the same. Our definition of motivation is not the mystical, magical thing you need to feel to get into action. Motivation to succeed comes from the action itself.
In this first podcast of our four-part series, we lay the groundwork and touch on four initial truths that nobody tells you when you get your real estate license.
Sure, you need to know about scripts and lead generation and listing presentations, but there’s some unconventional wisdom that you need to know if you really want to thrive in this business and create a legacy of service.
Some of these will be lightbulb moments for you and others will give you pause. Some might even cause initial discouragement because they will poke holes in things you’ve always been taught or wanted to believe because they sounded right.
Here are the first four things we wish someone had told us from the very beginning:
1. Embrace the fact that skill plus motivation equals never being broke
2. Pay your taxes on time or ahead
Your broker and office manager are not in charge of your tax liabilities, only you are!
3. Pay yourself first
Pay yourself 10 percent minimum from every check earned, even if you don’t think you can afford to. It’s the only way we’ve ever seen savings occur with our coaching clients, our colleagues and ourselves.
4. There is no ‘big eagle’ ready to fly over and drop a bag of cash upon you
Stop waiting for, praying for, hoping for the big-money event.
It’s not a plan. It’s not predictable, duplicatable or sustainable to think this way.
What do we want you to know from these first four truths? That no one wants you to succeed in building wealth. Not even the people who love you the most.
In all actuality, they will likely be the ones that will discourage the truths we’re telling you. If you want to create a legacy of service and wealth in real estate, you will have to take on the disciplines of people who build wealth.
Join us for our next podcast, as we continue on with these truths and talk about how to deal with the rejection and solitude you will experience in journeying this road.
Subscribe to Tim and Julie Harris’ podcast on iTunes, or follow us online at realestatecoachingradio.com.
Tim and Julie Harris have over 20 years’ experience in real estate. Learn more about their real estate coaching and training programs at timandjulieharris.com, or request more information about their programs at joinharris.com.